The 2019 Olga Kern International Piano Competition will be held October 27– November 3, 2019.
COMPETITION: Finalist Concert & Announcement of Winners 2019
November 2 / 6:00 pm UTC-6
2019 Olga Kern International Piano Competition
2019 Olga Kern International Piano Competition Finals
Saturday, November 2, 2019
The Final Round will take place at Popejoy Hall on the campus of the University of New Mexico, located at 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131.
The finalists will perform a concerto with the New Mexico Philharmonic on Saturday, November 2 at 6 p.m. at Popejoy Hall. They will participate in two rehearsals prior to the concert as follows: Friday, November 1, 7:30 p.m. –10 p.m. and Saturday, November 2, 12 p.m.–2:30 p.m. Each contestant will have a pre-rehearsal meeting of approximately 20-30 minutes with the conductor. The numbers of the contestants will be carried over from Rounds I and II. However, the order of the contestants may be changed depending on the repertoire. The order of the contestants will be decided on Thursday, October 31 after the announcement of the advancing contestants. The finalists will be notified that evening.
The piano choice from the Semifinal Round can be carried over for each contestant, but a decision change to use the other piano will be allowed before the first rehearsal with the New Mexico Philharmonic. That choice is final.
At the end of the concert, the Jury will deliberate and announce the winner and subsequent positions of the remaining contestants. The audience will fill out a ballot or vote on the website for the Audience Award.
Everything must be performed from memory and all printed repeats must be taken.
Third Round/Final Round:
Contestant’s choice of one of the following concerti for piano and orchestra:
- Béla Bartók: Piano Concerti Nos. 2 or 3
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerti Nos. 3, 4, or 5
- Johannes Brahms: Piano Concerti Nos. 1 or 2
- Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concerti Nos. 1 or 2
- George Gershwin: Concerto in F
- Edvard Grieg: Piano Concerto in a minor
- Franz Liszt: Piano Concerti Nos. 1 or 2
- Sergei Prokofiev: Piano Concerti Nos. 1, 2, or 3
- Sergei Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerti Nos. 1, 2, or 3, or Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
- Maurice Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major
- Robert Schumann: Piano Concerto in a minor
- Alexander Scriabin: Piano Concerto in f-sharp minor
- Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerti Nos. 1 or 2
New Mexico Philharmonic Event Listing:
Stars of the Future: Olga Kern International Piano Competition Finals
Saturday, November 2, 2019, 6 p.m.
Presenting the finals of the second tri-annual Olga Kern International Piano Competition originally conceived by Ms. Olga Kern—already recognized globally for its value and excellence. The winner will be awarded a $30,000 cash prize, along with concert engagements throughout the U.S. and Europe. And, youcan vote for the Audience Award! Experience the four finalists in performance with your New Mexico Philharmonic!
Popejoy Hall / 203 Cornell Dr NE / Albuquerque, NM 87106.